Friday, October 17, 2008

Just bearing my soul a little

I have what i refer to as "rescue syndrome." If something or someone needs help, fixing, rescuing, etc., i really try my best to do it. It's hard for me to say "no." I know in my heart that i am not the One who can fix everything, but i still have this urge to try. On the positive side of things, i'm pretty sure i've never been able to succeed in fixing anything, so i am totally relieved that it's not up to me. I don't have to bear that burden. I am not responsible.
There is a song that describes perfectly my initial feelings in a recent situation in my life. It is called "Watch Over You" and it is sung by a group called Alter Bridge.

"Watch Over You"

Leaves are on the ground
Fall has come
Blue skies turning grey
Like my love

I tried to carry you
And make you whole
But it was never enough
I must go

[Chorus:]
Who is gonna save you
When I'm gone?
And who'll watch over you
When I'm gone?

You say you care for me
But hide it well
How can you love someone
And not yourself?

[Chorus]

And when I'm gone
Who will break your fall?
Who will you blame?

I can't go on
And let you lose it all
It's more than I can take
Who'll ease your pain?
Ease your pain

[Chorus:]
And Love is gonna save you
When I'm gone.
Who'll watch over you,
When I've gone away?

Snow is on the ground
Winters come
You long to hear my voice
But I'm long gone


At first, i thought this song seemed a little hopeless, but then i saw the line, " Love is gonna save you when i'm gone. So true...Jesus is the ultimate lover, healer, protector, defender, rescuer, and He can and will do it. Maybe the artist didn't have that in mind when he wrote this song, but it's still true. And that gives me hope. I'm off the hook. I couldn't do it. I never will be able to do it, but He can and wants to even if we don't want Him to. Even if we spit on his face, curse His name, and mock His death. He still wants to. That's the kind of Love that saves people. Way better than anything i could ever offer, and i'm so thankful for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. Your comments show spiritual depth and maturity! I'm so proud of you. And, I love you immensely! Even when you mispell words! :+O You know my favorite color is red!
Mom

Kara Dixon said...

lovely.

BranchPastor said...

Awesome Melody! I too am a recovering rescuer and have learned to trust Jesus for others.